1. Why is it important to identify and document business rules? Mark for Review
It allows you to create your data model, then check for accuracy. (*)
It allows you to improve the client's business.
It ensures that the data model will automate all manual processes.
None of the above
2. A business rule such as "All accounts must be paid in full within 10 days of billing" is best enforced by: Mark for Review
Making the payment attribute mandatory.
Making the relationship between CUSTOMER and PAYMENT fully mandatory and 1:1 on both sides.
Creating a message to be printed on every bill that reminds the customer to pay within ten days.
Hiring a programmer to create additional programming code to identify and report accounts past due. (*)
3. How should you handle constraints that cannot be modeled on an ER diagram? Mark for Review
Always let the network architect handle them
List them on a separate document to be handled programmatically (*)
Explain them to the users so they can enforce them
All constraints must be modeled and shown on the ER diagram
4. Which of the following is an example of a structural business rule? Mark for Review
All employees must belong to at least one department. (*)
Buildings to be purchased by the business must be current with earthquake building code.
All overdue payments will have an added 10 % late fee.
All products will have a selling price no less than 30 % greater than wholesale.
5. Only managers can approve travel requests is an example of which of the following? Mark for Review
A structural business rule.
A mandatory business rule.
A procedural business rule. (*)
An optional business rule.
6. How would you model a business rule that states that on a studentﾒs birthday, they do not have to attend their classes? Mark for Review
Use a supertype
Use a subtype
Make the attribute Birthdate mandatory
You cannot model this. You need to document it (*)
7. Business rules are important to data modelers because: Mark for Review
A. They capture all of the needs, processes and required functionality of the business. (*)
B. They are easily implemented in the ERD diagram.
C. The data modeler must focus on structural rules, because they are easily represented diagrammatically and eliminate other rules that involve extra procedures or programming.
D. Both A and C are true.